Electronic Design Automation (EDA) industry revenue increased 12.6% in Q2 2020 to $2,783.9 million, compared to $2,472.1 million in Q2 2019, with most categories logging double-digit increases, the Electronic System Design (ESD) Alliance Market Statistics Service (MSS) announced today. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, increased by 6.7%. The ESD Alliance is a SEMI Technology Community.
“The EDA industry reported a double-digit revenue increase for Q2 2020, compared to Q2 2019,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor, SEMI EDA Market Statistics Service. “Individually, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), IC Physical Design and Verification, and Semiconductor IP (SIP) reported double-digit increases in Q2. Further, all geographic regions reported revenue increases.”
The companies tracked in the MSS report employed 46,579 people in Q2 2020, a 5% increase over the Q2 2019 headcount of 44,372 and up 1.4% compared to Q1 2020.
The quarterly MSS report containing detailed revenue information with category and geographic breakdowns is available to ESD Alliance members.
Revenue by Product Category in Q2 2020
- CAE revenue increased 16.1% to $922 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 7.1%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue increased 16.8% to $584.1 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 4.8%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue decreased 0.3% to $243.5 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM increased 12.4%.
- SIP revenue increased 13.6% to $948.2 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 8.5%.
- Services revenue decreased 12.8% to $86.2 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter Services moving average decreased 14.3%.
Revenue by Region in Q2 2020
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, purchased $1,155.6 million of EDA products and services in Q2 2020, an 11.4% increase compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas increased 4.6%.
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) revenue increased 5.2%, to $377.5 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 12.2%.
- Japan revenue increased 9% to $240.4 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 0.8%.
- APAC revenue increased 18.1% to $1,010.3 million compared to Q2 2019. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 6.3%.